Tahoe in a Nutshell
New to Tahoe or just interested in brushing up on some fun facts and new ideas for exploration? There is a ton to see when visiting the Jewel of Sierra. Come prepared with fun facts, myths and the best plan of attack to discover Lake Tahoe.
Put on your adventure pants because it’s time to discover Tahoe! Photo credit: Rachid Dahnoun
- Lake Tahoe gets 275 days of sunshine a year, which explains why everyone is happy to be here.
- Tahoe is the second deepest lake in the US and tenth deepest in the world, with its deepest point being 1,645 feet.
- It’s also the largest alpine lake in the US!
- Tahoe is so deep that it could cover the entire state of California with 14 inches of water.
- Celebrities that have called Tahoe home include Shirley Temple, Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli, Cher, Robin Williams, Alanis Morissette and Leonard Nimoy. The Hunger Games star Jena Malone grew up here!
- The Godfather Part II was filmed at Lake Tahoe, specifically at Fleur du Lac Mansion on the west shore.
Fleur Du Lac Mansion can be viewed from the water, as it is currently private residences. Courtesy Pinterest
- Speaking of the mafia, the area has seen its fair share of mob activity. Many believe that hidden in the depths of Lake Tahoe are hundreds of preserved bodies that were “offed” by mob affiliations.
- Lake Tahoe is rumored to be inhabited by a monster similar to the Loch Ness Monster. Her name is Tahoe Tessie and photos are sought for a glimpse of her emerald skinned silhouette.
Best way to see Tahoe? On the water! Courtesy South Tahoe Standup Paddle
Tahoe Done Right
- Explore: The waters of Lake Tahoe bring endless adventures. Try your hand at a new water sport that will get your adrenaline pumping and the waves kickin’!
- Find: There are many Hidden Beaches perfect for off-the-beaten-path fun.
- Hike: The Tahoe Rim Trail is just steps away from the Ridge, but there are a multitude of trails and paths easily accessible in the Basin.
- Fall in love: Named one of the best places in the US for a mountain wedding, Tahoe is no stranger to romance. Regardless if you’re planning to pop the question, celebrate a milestone or or get married at 7,500 ft, Lake Tahoe is the best place for love.
- Bring the family: Tahoe and the Ridge help create magical family vacations. Many of the Ridge activities are kid-friendly. (P.S. If you need a break from the kiddos, consider our Activity Club!)
- Take a day trip: Venture over the hill for historical locales or get in some fall fixings.
Make your home base at The Ridge Tahoe for a central location to explore all areas of the Basin.