Skiers and snowboarders are eagerly gearing up for the winter season – and for good reason! With the first few snowfalls already under its belt, Lake Tahoe and the Ridge are ready to welcome shredders of all levels to experience the sweet Sierra pow. You’ll want to plan your trip now as Heavenly Mountain Resort and Kirkwood Mountain Resort open Nov. 18 with more following suit shortly thereafter.
One-Stop Ski Lodge
Worry only about carving lines when you stay at the Ridge with inclusive on-site amenities and resources. The Resort Sports Ski & Snowboard Shop fulfills all rental needs, with the newest and highest quality equipment available at various performance levels. Services include ski and board rentals, hot waxing, tune-ups, repairs, ski accessories and clothing rentals and ski locker storage.
Children will be delighted when they hop aboard the Hilltrac Skier Express! Ridge visitors can conveniently access the Skier Express to speed up their arrival to Heavenly. This enclosed gondola is easily accessible from the resort and drops visitors off at the Stagecoach Chairlift. There are also complimentary ski shuttles to both the Stagecoach and Boulder Lodges.
Take the express lane via the Hilltrac Skier Express.
Insider Tips Before Hitting the Slopes
Before you’re officially on the mountain facing a glorious run of white, it’s important to ensure you follow a few general rules for maximum safety and fun.
- Dress warmly: Wear layers under the ski jacket and pants that are tighter to the body and insulate heat. Another great option is using hand and foot warmers to stay cozy. Remaining comfortable during a chilly ski outing will not only make the adventure more enjoyable, but will help prevent injuries if falls occur.
- Make sure the gear fits: Utilize the Ridge’s ski shop resources and ensure all gear, helmets, goggles, boots, etc. fit correctly. Equipment that is too big or small will make skiing uncomfortable and can be a safety hazard.
- Falling without injury: Even the best skiers trip and fall on the mountain; what’s important is to position the body in a way that minimizes pain or potential injuries. Tuck the body as much as possible and wait until the movement has stopped before trying to stand.
- Move to the sides of the runs: If a break is needed or you’re waiting for friends to catch up, be helpful to other skiers and snowboarders by pausing on the sides of the runs. This prevents frustration from other mountain users and makes it less likely for accidents.
- Stretch before and after: Take a few minutes in the morning and afternoon to stretch and heal the body. This helps loosen up the muscles and joints so you are more limber.
- Sleep: The beds at the Ridge are mighty comfy so guests should take advantage of a good night’s sleep to prepare the mind and body for action-packed days!
- Hot cocoa: Dare we say this is the most important tip? Nothing toasts an accomplished ski day quite like a warm mug of hot cocoa shared with family and friends.
Rejoice for snow at the Ridge Tahoe!
Helpful Mobile Apps
- Heavenly GPS Ski and Snowboard Trail Maps: This app provides detailed maps, descriptions and conditions of all Heavenly Mountain Resort runs and trails. Users can track their progress and share their mountain days on social media platforms.
- Ski Pursuit: Record data and statistics such as speed, duration and distance to track activity. Set a personal goal and try to beat it with this app’s help.
- Action Shot: Capture fast runs, tricks and jumps seamlessly and with minimal editing.